Hiring a new team is not a part time job
6 December, 2017
When I joined Netflix as an engineering manager, I faced a surprising challenge. I arrived in a team with no team members. The previous manager of the team left, and his engineers had also decided to leave. So, I had to rebuild a team from scratch and hiring became my number one priority.
I knew exactly the type of profiles I was looking for and was not ready to make compromises. My criteria were:
- people who would fit the company culture
- people complementary with, at first mine, and then the team strengths and weaknesses I dedicated around 60 percent of my time to the hiring process, and only around 20 percent to productive actions as an individual contributor. The rest of my time was spent saying 'no' to my boss and other internal clients when they asked me to work on other projects. The hiring process took a significant time. The first hire took five months to fill! While my boss didn't take me saying 'no' very well, he now acknowledges that I did the right thing.
When it comes to building a team, it is worth taking the time to hire the right person. To hire the right person, you should:
- very clearly define the profiles you are looking for.
- make sure that your company's management understands that this is a priority.
- resist pressure and be willing to say no to other projects until you have a proper team.
Paulo André, VP of Engineering at TourRadar, discusses different aspects of a scalable hiring process.
VP Engineering at TourRadar
Vijay Gill, SVP Engineering at Databricks, shares some tips on how to improve diversity by attracting more diverse talent and ensuring they stay in the organization.
SVP Engineering at Databricks
Matt Nemenman, Director of Engineering at Lyft, shares his story about how he dealt with being short a manager on his team and how he had to shift his team organization to solve the problem. His story demonstrates that when things go wrong the best approach, sometimes, is to start from scratch.
Director of Engineering at Lyft
Veronika Fleisher, Director of Engineering at BitSight, explains how her company implemented a clear promotion process and structured feedback meetings.
Director of Engineering at BitSight
Janssen Choong, Partner at Horizon Connect, highlights the importance of the right hiring strategy when your startup scales rapidly.
Partner at Horizon Connect
You're a great engineer.
Become a great engineering leader.
Plato (platohq.com) is the world's biggest mentorship platform for engineering managers & product managers. We've curated a community of mentors who are the tech industry's best engineering & product leaders from companies like Facebook, Lyft, Slack, Airbnb, Gusto, and more.