I am an entrepreneurial leader with 10 years of experience creating 5 large-scope products by driving product roadmap, user acquisition, and leading teams to deliver end-to-end solutions. Trained as an engineer, I am an advocate for the user and comfortable leading product, machine learning, engineering, and marketing teams. I just took Airo, a wearable that automates the therapeutic process for anxiety, from concept through 4 product iterations, revenues, Y Combinator, and 5-star customer reviews in 14 months.
Hey, I'm available every Wednesday at 7:30 PM (GMT)
Next time slot available August 26, 2020 7:30 PM (GMT)
Jan 2017 - current
Airo Health is a Y Combinator backed startup (S2016) that builds a mobile app and a wearable to track and manage anxiety using machine learning. I led the team that built Airo from concept through four product iterations, revenues, and 5-star customer reviews in 14 months. Airo was delivered as B2B SaaS and Consumer SaaS. See attached video reviews.
• Formulated a compelling product vision, strategy, and roadmap, and go-to-market strategy by scrutinizing market trends and analyzing data from interviewing 200 users, 6 mental health (MH) clinics, 30 MH professionals, 1 pharmaceutical company.
• Identified insights using analytics dashboard and ideal user profile. Turned insights into hypotheses and tested using A/B tests, surveys, and Facebook Ads. Built feature that grew to $100,000s in revenue, user acquisition by 20%, and retention by 10%.
• Generated 430 backlinks, 80 press mentions, and 1 book chapter for e-commerce. Targeted 25,000 signups via email and ad campaigns. Planned SEO campaign through content strategy and virality through influencer and referral campaigns.
• Led 3 senior executives in product management, data science, and hardware engineering to deliver in a fast-paced startup following the agile methodology. Managed a team of 24 (at location and remotely in Ukraine/China) to ship product.
• Reduce development time by 75% by re-designing internal processes (marketing, code testing/deployment, customer support) to mix automation and human effort, as appropriate. Chart employee workflows and create mockups with feedback from all.
Blacktree Fitness Technologies
May 2013 - Dec 2016
Blacktree built and patented the world’s first non-invasive automated calorie tracker that collected physiological data via a custom sensor and predicted calories-eaten using a machine learning algorithm. Led vision, technical strategy, product roadmap, and business development.
• Formulated a method to track caloric-intake and validated it with University of Guelph on 20 people with funding from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council. Define metrics for success to prioritize challenges.
• Modeled user’s current workflow for counting calories (via Contextual Design). Brainstormed wireframes and mockups for user journey to meet the goals of losing weight and installing healthy habits. Validated prototypes via user feedback.
• Led a team of data scientists and product managers to collaborate with 10 external subject matter experts in digestive physiology, sensors, hemodynamics, and machine learning to predict caloric-intake with gold standard accuracy.
• Launched marketing campaign that generated $100,000 in 2 days and attracted potential partners such as WeightWatchers, Sony, Pepsi, Jenny Craig, etc. Finalized 3 Letters of Intent worth $1 Million from fitness, defense, and insurance companies.
\* Built relationships with vendors in Canada, US, and China to prototype sensors but chose to re-appropriate off-the-shelf hardware and saved over $150,000 and 7 months in manufacturing costs. Set up manufacturing for 5000 units.
• Developed a data collection product to train algorithms and acquired 200 users for it. Increased data by 10x in 2.5 months.
Interaction Designer with Berumen Design
Product Management Consultant (Freelance)
Sep 2012 - Dec 2012
Full Stack Solutions Consultant
Aug 2011 - Aug 2012
I took revenue-generating soccer website and an iOS app to detect earthquakes from concept to shipment and maintenance. Exclusively targeted clients that needed end-to-end service.
May 2010 - May 2011
Unbound Books aimed to become the Netflix for e-books. We developed strategies to jump start a sustainable revenue model and worked on a partnership with the Association of Canadian Publishers. We grew the team to 6 part-time developers and 3 student business leads.
Barber Glass Industries
Jan 2007 - Apr 2007
A quick study of the maintenance mechanics workflow showed they spent two grueling hours manually tracking inventory, generating POs, getting approval, and ordering new parts. I automated parts of their workflow using MS Access and increased their efficiency by at least 20%.
As the solo individual on the project, I drove everything from start to finish with weekly meetings with my manager. I designed, developed, tested, and deployed software for the non-technical end-user. I also trained the mechanics and wrote documentation such that it was complete in itself since it would be their only source of support in my absence.
Don't have an account?
You're a great engineer. Become a great engineering leader.
Plato (platohq.com) is the world's biggest mentorship platform for engineering managers & product managers. We've curated a community of mentors who are the tech industry's best engineering & product leaders from companies like Facebook, Lyft, Slack, Airbnb, Gusto, and more.