Hi All, I’m Jeff Ammons. I’ve been a Sr. EM most recently at Slack, but have also worked as Dir. of Eng at Brigade (a civic tech startup funded by Sean Parker), as a Product Manager at Simple Energy, in Boulder; CO, and as VP of Eng at Mahalo.com, plus a startup of my own that didn’t succeed.
I’m currently working on starting a coaching/consulting business, Blue Raven, to help engineering leaders develop themselves and their teams (I promise I won’t try to sell anything on here though, unless you ask :smile::thumbsup: ).
It’s good to meet all of you! I love meeting new people and hearing their stories, so feel free to DM me if you ever want to do a video call or :coffee: if you’re in San Francisco!
Sorry, I am not currently available for mentoring sessions.
Senior Engineering Manager
Apr 2018 - current
Blue Raven Consulting
Apr 2017 - current
Provided management and technology coaching and consulting across a variety of industries.
\- Create and implement OKR processes
\- Design and roll out leveling guide
\- One-on-one CEO and CTO leadership coaching
\- Technology solution recommendations and implementation
Senior Engineering Manager
Mar 2016 - Apr 2017
My primary contributions at Slack has been to manage a team of software engineers to deliver dozens of features and tooling to build Slack's Enterprise offering.
\- Introduced and refined agile-like process to the team
\- Championed use of OKRs for team and Enterprise organization
\- Built and led management self-training group to facilitated intra-team connections and knowledge sharing
\- Maintained Python Open Source tool for creating easy bots
\- Helped drive Open Source initiatives at Slack
\- Aid with hiring process for engineering and engineering management
Director of Engineering
Jan 2015 - Feb 2016
Initially led API team supporting 3 client application teams (Web, iOS, and Android). During this time, we launched our initial application to the world and transitioned from a purely Ruby-on-Rails API layer to one which integrated Rails with Scala data services to improve scalability and response times for the API.
Moved to lead the Web application team, where focus became meeting end-user needs and collaboration with product management and design to set and meet goals serving company needs. Changed perception of web from afterthought to though-leading app team.
• Led transition to Pod-based structure and built out light-weight sprint cadence and workflows for the full engineering team
• Conceived and executed initiative to move to a train-style release cadence for mobile apps to improve the speed at which we developed and iterated on features. Moved released from every 6-8 weeks down to every 2.
• Led API team up to and after the launch of our private-beta apps and later public launch
• Hired and managed first QA lead to provide QA coverage for all 3 client products
• Interviewed and hired for members of the API and Web teams
• Participated in formalizing company values and rollout of these values to the broader team
Director of Product Management
Apr 2013 - Aug 2014
Built out B2B2C product function as company grew from 16-45+ employees. Helped guide engineering team to improved output, managed weekly marketing emails sends to end users, guided UX design, supported customer engagement team.
Maintained roadmap to optimize use of engineering resources to keep current customers happy and support sales efforts to bring in new customers.
Find Business Media
Oct 2011 - Apr 2013
FBM licenses a custom platform to B2B publishers, enabling them to create product directories and generate high-quality leads.
• Built an MVP lead generation solution, which was licensed to a leading business-to-business publishing firm. Utilized analytics and customer feedback to iterate on the platform, and ultimately generate highly-qualified leads.
• Hired and trained local and remote developers for platform development while focusing on minimizing costs.
• Used Lean Startup principles to develop strategy to best utilize the company’s limited financial, human, and technology resources during pre-revenue boot-strapping period.
Chief Technology Officer / VP of Engineering
Aug 2009 - Sep 2011
Mahalo is a venture-backed startup focused on education through editorial and user-generated content creation and packaging.
• Led a team of 21 programmers, IT specialists, data analysts, graphic designers, and product managers.
• Built, delivered, and deployed numerous software projects, on schedule, including Mahalo.com 4.0, a six-month rewrite of our core product with more than 15 million monthly unique visitors and thousands of active contributors.
• Conceived and executed a video library CMS and reporting tool that aided in data analysis and streamlined video production, ultimately saving 12.5 hours weekly per editor -- 625 hours saved across the editorial staff.
• Generated and analyzed monthly P&L reports for video production to determine monthly ad revenue vs production cost and created internal metric (video months) that standardized statistics across multiple verticals.
• Enacted modified Agile programming techniques to fit demands development team as it grew from a staff of 7 to 21.