Hi everyone! My name is Gabe Westmaas and I am currently Director of Product Engineering at Checkr, where I lead a team of 35 people. Looking forward to meeting you!
Sorry, I am not currently available for mentoring sessions.
Director of Product Engineering
Sep 2018 - current
Feb 2017 - Sep 2018
• Led Tilt Engineering acquisition
• Launched "split the cost" capability that has been used 1 million times with revenue of $500 million within 9 months
• Launched internal bug resolution program for 60-person engineering organization resulting in the best record in company history
VP of Engineering
Apr 2014 - Feb 2017
• Doubled engineering team, put in place Team Leads and Directors, distributed across offices and remote workers in US and Canada
• Built a culture of team and individual empowerment and ownership, leading to an improvement in efficiency and quality across the entire engineering team, as demonstrated in the accomplishments below.
• Coached engineering leaders in the development of successful programs, including an engineering internship program, an engineering-driven quality program that over the past 6+ months has consistently fixed 95% of bugs within 7 days of discovery, and a program to ensure weekly releases of mobile applications to customers and multiple daily releases to employees.
• Introduced “Engineering Week” which brings all engineers together quarterly and inspires them to collaborate, innovate, and build. Over the past 2 years, >60% of the projects were launched, including a new P2P product which subsequently became the primary strategy for all of Tilt.
• Emphasized team performance management through clear expectations and success criteria.
• Launched product in 9 international markets; delivered translation automation and support for different methods of payment processing customized to each market.
• Scaled product to support 20x increase in regular traffic and up to 400x spikes in preparation for special projects such as a charity launched on the Conan O’Brien show, an ESPN partnership to support fantasy sports clubs nation-wide, and a fan-driven tour for The Chainsmokers across 25 university campuses.
• Enabled the rapid rollout of additional payment processors, including an emergency migration of 70% of payment transactions in less than 2 weeks, through improved code design, stronger deployment practices (6x increase in deploys per week), and feature flags for controlled deployment to users.
• Strategized with product and engineering leaders to update technology stack to ReactJS and Go.
Software Engineer, Systems Administrator
University of Colorado Boulder
Jan 2004 - Jun 2008
• Responsible for over 100 users and their systems, ranging from laptop management to systems administration for FreeBSD and Windows Servers.
• Primary engineer on several software projects, including e-commerce sites for conferences put on by the institute, and a library catalog and search system written in Java.
• Worked full-time with full university course load, completed Computer Science BS degree in 2006.