Hi all! I'm Chris Salvato, the former Head of Product Engineering at Territory (territoryfoods.com) where I was instrumental in building a team from 2 to 6 engineers in a remote environment. Look forward to help people kick off and build fully remote engineering teams. :visage_légèrement_souriant:
Hey, I'm available every Wednesday at 6:00 PM (GMT)
Next time slot available August 19, 2020 6:00 PM (GMT)
Working with LearnZillion to advance education. We take the highest quality curriculum and make it teacher-friendly and classroom-ready to empower educators.
As a senior software engineer, I design and develop impactful new features for a growing user base including teachers, students, parents, and administrative users. Features are developed using:
\- Ruby on Rails 5 (HAML, SASS, and Webpack)
\- Ruby 2
\- Vue.js and Knockout.js
\- Code Climate
\- Circle CI
Dec 2017 - current
We believe that transportation needs to become more sustainable for humans to keep inhabiting our planet. A big driver in this transition is moving transportation services to use electric vehicles. We believe that we can blaze a trail and be a leader in this niche.
Our goal is to build a luxury fleet by focusing on incredible, Michelin-star level service that makes our passengers second guess why they use our combustion-engine competitors.
We believe that people who experience the luxury and performance of electric vehicles will be further enticed to make the switch to electric – not by reading or thinking, but by experiencing.
Head of Product Engineering
Nov 2015 - Oct 2018
React Front End Engineering
• Worked with a designer to create library of React components based on an atomic design framework
• Built and tested React components using Jasmine BDD framework, Teaspoon test runner and Enzyme within a Ruby on Rails app
• Integrated app with tracking/growth tools (Segment, Delighted, VWO, Intercom, etc.) using client-side APIs to track user events
• Built two completely new, complex ordering experiences using React components
• Rebranded a web app, focusing on updating the component library, as well as removing legacy code to minimize tech debt
• Redesigned Territory’s automatically-generated print order labels using wkhtmltopdf, HTML and CSS
Rails Back End Engineering
• Implemented comprehensive UTM tracking strategy to track incoming tracking parameters from advertising campaigns
• Performed invasive changes to Territory’s system, such as a complete Rails 5 upgrade, and updating schema to support new features
• Devised a short-linking solution for tracking print advertising that resulted in website traffic
• Created views and actions for internal Customer Service app based on ActiveAdmin gem
Statistical Computing & Data Analysis
• Created a suite of R packages to visualize and statistically analyze millions of rows of AdWords campaign data
• Wrote testing framework using Google Optimize, VWO and Optimizely to run A/B tests on complicated features
• Created automated weekly reports, written in R, to track advertising spend over dozens of campaigns and dimensions
• Interviewed 100+ developers for various engineering roles
• Fostered a remote engineering culture including coaching, retros, 1:1s, new developer onboarding and show-and-tells to retain talent
• Coordinated, ran and participated in numerous project kick-offs, after gathering requirements from stakeholders at every level
May 2012 - Nov 2015
Swift Archer is a holding company where I focused on creating valuable online web properties for clients and my internal portfolio.
• Created custom WordPress websites & plugins for local business and e-commerce clients, written in PHP, developed in a local env.
• Created custom Ruby scripts to generate and analyze AdWords campaigns data.
• Integrated MailChimp API with WordPress website to pull subscriber data for marketing callouts.
• Built a team of developers, designers + SEO freelancers to create SEO portfolio sites built on WordPress.
• Built a Shopify site using Liquid language to sell fitness merchandise and information products.
• Managed SEO structure and automatic meta-tag generation for a portfolio of WordPress web properties.
• Created a custom website forum built in PHP and MySQL based on phpBB.
• Wrote scraping utilities in Ruby using Nokogiri and Watir to scrape thousands of rows of Craigslist post data and Yelp listing data.
• Wrote Ruby scripts to format billions of rows of biomedical data as a consultant on a PhD thesis.
Eat Move Improve LLC
Sep 2009 - Dec 2016
A bodyweight fitness focused company
Research Sales Engineer
Feb 2008 - May 2010
• Created experimental hardware and software configurations using the PowerLab for hundreds of university lab experiments.
• Assisted customers in writing data analysis scripts in MATLAB
Jun 2007 - Nov 2007
• Wrote MATLAB scripts to analyze hundreds of thousands of rows of biomedical optics data
• Wrote a series of microscope automation scripts to dramatically reduce experimentation time for optical experiments.
Don't have an account?
You're a great engineer. Become a great engineering leader.
Plato (platohq.com) is the world's biggest mentorship platform for engineering managers & product managers. We've curated a community of mentors who are the tech industry's best engineering & product leaders from companies like Facebook, Lyft, Slack, Airbnb, Gusto, and more.