I’m Ariel Zach, VP of Engineering at Inkling. Prior roles include VPE/SVPE at PubNub, MarkMonitor, Model N and Hyperion Solutions. I’ve led teams of various sizes, from a handful of co-located engineers to globally distributed teams of 150+ and experimented with Agile at scale transformations. I enjoy mentoring managers / directors enabling them to grow as leaders.
Hey, I'm available every Wednesday at 4:30 PM (GMT)
Next time slot availableCreate an account
August 5, 2020
4:30 PM (GMT)
Sep 2018 - current
Inkling is a mobile learning platform built for the modern workforce. It combines enterprise-grade technology with an intuitive user experience to drive learning, boost efficiency, and analyze performance.
Engineering Leadership Mentor
Apr 2017 - current
Volunteer as a mentor coaching engineering leaders in a variety of topics: personal growth and development, management techniques, collaboration and effective Agile implementation.
VP Product Development
OpsPanda (acquired by Xactly)
May 2017 - Sep 2018
OpsPanda helps leaders in sales, sales operations and finance set accurate targets and optimize teams to hit them. The application is purpose-built for sales resource planning and makes it easy to be rigorous in sales capacity forecasting, headcount planning and quota assignment.
Leads the product development efforts in building the award-winning solution for SaaS Sales Capacity Planning and Sales Performance Analysis.
• Driving the implementation of a scalable architecture supporting the growing customer adoption.
• Bringing fast-paced innovation with new module introduction, along with increased rigor in process.
Apr 2015 - Mar 2017
PubNub is a secure global Data Stream Network and easy to use API that enables customers to connect, scale, and manage realtime applications and IoT devices. With 250ms worldwide data transfer times, and scalability for hundreds of millions of devices, PubNub’s unique infrastructure gives you the ability to easily connect and operate world-class realtime applications and IoT devices.
Led the talented PubNub Engineering & DevOps teams (20+) during a period of commercial success and over tenfold growth in user traffic flowing through PubNub’s Data Stream Network.
• Scaled to over 1,000 globally distributed servers in the cloud to support 1.8 Trillion monthly messages, rivaling Twitter’s traffic-size, with no downtime and honoring the 99.999% SLA.
• Delivered the groundbreaking PubNub BLOCKS service that makes the network programmable, facilitating serverless computing for realtime applications.
• Transformed the engineering organization to a team-based model, scaled the DevOps team and initiated the transition to Agile.
Jun 2014 - Mar 2015
Led the globally distributed engineering and system operations teams (100+), developing and implementing online brand protection strategies for more than half the Fortune 100.
• Guided the team in optimizing the SaaS platform protecting brands across multiple threat vectors such as Counterfeiting, Piracy, Fraud and Domain Management for the world's most trafficked websites, leveraging large Hadoop clusters and advanced crawling technology.
• Introduced Agile and significantly enhanced cross-team collaboration, spreading innovation.
• Added Data Science function to further develop the machine learning algorithms and expand the footprint of counterfeit product detection to new verticals.
VP, Product Development
Aug 2007 - May 2014
Created a high-performing global organization—over 150 strong (developers, QA, documentation, PMO, build and release). Accomplished this by apt mentoring of the next leadership level, with strong focus on customer satisfaction, personal accountability and empowerment. Results--company’s rapid revenue growth from $40M to $100M and the successful Model N IPO in March 2013.
• Introduced new product offerings with disruptive architectural changes, achieving competitive wins and multi-million dollar license deals at top 10 Life Sciences and High Tech manufacturers.
• Energized the team by implementing Agile, and built strong bridges with the field organization.
Jul 2001 - Jun 2007
As VP of Corporate Engineering:
• Ensured the predictable release schedule for the $900M complete Hyperion product portfolio.
• Defined and enforced development processes for the entire organization (500+ strong) resulting in dramatic improvement in quality. Led the UX and release management functions.
As VP of Product Development:
• Augmented the product portfolio by bootstrapping a brand new Profitability Application.
• Brought to market Hyperion System 9 BI+, orchestrating the tight collaboration of over 200 engineers spread across 4 continents and putting Hyperion on the map of the leading BI vendors.
• Turned around the Brio $142M acquisition by focusing the team on building product that delights customers, resulting in 95%+ customer retention and 150% revenue growth.
Business Unit Manager
Quest Software (acquired by Dell)
Aug 1999 - Jun 2001
As Business Unit Manager for database development tools, increased the competitive edge & revenue of the award-winning TOAD, SQL Navigator and SQLab products by streamlining the development cycle and closely collaborating with product management.
• Supervised teams in US, Australia, and Israel to successfully launch SQLab Vision—an innovative integration of source code analysis and performance tuning, with quick market adoption.
• Led due diligence efforts in several M&A activities complementing the product portfolio, improving competitiveness and accelerating implementation of product strategy.
Lab Manager (GM)
Platinum technology (acquired by CA)
Sep 1995 - Aug 1999
Led the SQL-Station initial product launch and subsequent releases into becoming the premier PL/SQL IDE & Oracle SQL tuning product, scaling its revenue to over $10M in less than two years and winning PC WEEK Labs’ Analyst Choice.
Business Unit Manager
Jan 1985 - Jun 1995
Employee #5 at Log-On, was a key driver in the small Israeli startup’s growth more than tenfold; wore multiple hats in hands-on coding, development management, project and product management; accomplishments include winning major customers & projects and owning all phases of bringing to market a brand new product from its inception.
MAMRAM, Israeli Defense Forces
Nov 1978 - Jan 1985
Excelled in academics at the prestigious software engineering education program of the Israeli Defense Forces (MAMRAM), and chosen to become an instructor, teaching generations of new programmers. Gained practical experience by participating in multiple projects for IDF units, on a diverse set of hardware and software platforms, including mission critical systems.