You're a great enginner. Become a great engineering leader.
I'm a VP of Engineering & Product at Mystery.org, leading our product, engineering, data and growth teams. Previously, I led engineering teams at Affirm, Counsyl and Square. I enjoy mentoring both ICs and managers, as well as figuring out how to scale out engineering organizations and enabling them to run more efficiently.
Hey, I'm available every Tuesday at 12:30 AM (GMT)
Next time slot available February 9, 2021 12:30 AM (GMT)
Do you want Allen as mentor?
Develop your self to become a stronger engineering / product leader
Plato Event #3 Part 3/6 How to identify who to promote to Engineering Management
Senior Director of Engineering
May 2017 - current
Affirm is dedicated to changing the way consumer finance works. We build honest financial products that help people prosper.
Our core product allows people to buy now and pay over time. Because of our technology, we can offer financing to more customers than traditional credit. We want to build products that empower and improve the financial lives of our consumers.
I volunteer as a mentor for engineering leaders, and hope to improve the quality of engineering management for our industry.
We're looking to expand our consumer product suite: our core loans product, Affirm Anywhere, credit dashboard, and more! We're growing our engineering team of front-end, full-stack, back-end, and mobile engineers.
Senior Software Engineering Manager
Oct 2015 - Mar 2017
Engineering manager across multiple teams throughout Counsyl's engineering organization.
• Managed Business Engineering team; built out tools and processes to improve project consistency and deliverability for many internal stakeholders.
• Managed Digital Products team; improved patient-facing products' metrics to increase patient accessibility to core Counsyl offerings.
• Led recruiting effort across engineering, eng. leadership, and program management.
• Established mentorship program; mentored engineers both within and outside my teams.
• Helped establish engineering levels and coached career development paths for software engineers.
Front-end engineer for Googleʼs internal customer relationship management tool.
• Major contributor to the 2.0 version of the web application, rewriting the front-end component for 8+ sections, which in aggregate was worked on by 50+ engineers, designers, and product managers.
• Developed a 20% project to store, track and manage Googleʼs sports ladders.
Lead Front-end Engineer
Jun 2008 - Mar 2010
Lead front-end engineer for applications on the Facebook platform.
• Rewrote and ported primary quiz application from PHP to Python, with multiple usability enhancements.
• Led numerous projects through front-end redesigns, AB-testing and functionality enhancements; grew sharing and page traffic by 400%.
• Lead front-end effort on building dating site; coordinated project execution between backend devs, graphic designers and project managers.
• Helped revive and build out the Lolapps games platform with UI rewrites and features.
• Started front-end engineering team.
• Built and enhanced multiple internal tools, including metrics graphs and admin interfaces.
Jan 2008 - Jun 2008
Web developer with emphasis on front-end web development, rewriting large parts of tagged.com for efficiency and usability.
• Rewrote search interface with YUI framework, AJAX pagination and advanced search filters.
• Rewrote home page with new visual style and widgeted sections.
• Developed new sitewide search bar
• Self managed and developed project to integrate site with third party chat system.
• Mentored other engineers
FactSet Research Systems
Jul 2004 - Dec 2007
Primary engineer for Factset's proprietary desktop client, rendering custom widgets in a Windows application by defining the user interface from the server.
• Worked with MFC and Win32 to create a network-optimized framework.
• Implemented numerous UI components with emphasis on usability and modern interface aesthetics.
• Coordinated client with server engineers, gathering requirements and feedback to improve API and functionality.
• Designed and developed a secure file storage system on client Windows machines with a COM interface, allowing for obfuscated files to be stored locally.
• Enhanced custom build system with versioning info and status notifications.
• Coordinated UC Berkeley student recruitment effort.
You're a great engineer. Become a great engineering leader.
Plato (platohq.com) is the world's biggest mentorship platform for engineering managers & product managers. We've curated a community of mentors who are the tech industry's best engineering & product leaders from companies like Facebook, Lyft, Slack, Airbnb, Gusto, and more.